Ph.D. candidate in English, University of California, Davis, expected December 2013
M.A., English, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2006
B.A., American Literature and Culture, University of California, Los Angeles, 2003
B.A., History, University of California, Los Angeles, 2003
"Hotel Publics and the Space of Hospitality in US Literature, 1893-2010"
RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Nineteenth- through twenty-first century American Literature; American literary history; cultural geography and theories of space; theory of the novel; poetics; race and ethnicity studies
University of California, Davis
ENL 3: Introduction to Literature
Topics Include: Frontier Spaces/Human Geographies
Scales of Domesticity: Home, Region, Nation
Cultural and National Boundaries: The Politics of Literary Form
Literatures of Hospitality
ENL 3H: Freshman Honors Seminar: Introduction to Literary Study
ENL 10C: Literatures in English: 1900-Present
UWP 1: Expository Writing
UWP 101: Advanced Composition
ENL 142: Early American Literature: Puritan Literature
ENL 44: Introduction to Fiction
ENL 153: World Literatures in English: The Short Story
ENL 46B: The Eighteenth-Century Novel
ENL/STS 173: Science Fiction Literature
HUM 2B: Cultural History of the Blues and Jazz
Reedley College; Reedley, California
ENL 125: Introduction to College Writing
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
RHET 105: Principles of Rhetoric and Composition
BTW 206: Introduction to Business and Technical Writing
Santa Monica College
HIS 51H: History Honors Colloquium: Ethnic Perspectives in Early American Literature and Culture
Humanities Tutorials Center: College Writing Workshop
Johns Hopkins University, Center for Talented Youth
Instructor: Summer Residential Program, Los Angeles, CA
Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature
University of California, Los Angeles
Teaching Associate: Athletic Tutorials
HIS 151B: American Intellectual History, 1850-Present
HIS 162: History of California
HIS 163: History of Los Angeles
HIS 147A: Civil War and Reconstruction
HIS 147B: Gilded Age America
AH 57: Renaissance and Baroque Art
SELECTED CONFERENCES & PRESENTATIONS
- "Barton Fink and Jewish Identity in 1930s Hollywood." Western Literature Association. Berkeley, CA. October, 2013.
- "Cereal Seekers: Health-Crazed Pilgrims on The Road to Wellville." American Literature Association. Boston, MA. May, 2013.
- "A Blueprint for Health: Spa Hotel Architecture and the Construction of Leisure-Class Identity." Subject to Change: Nature, Text, and the Limits of the Human. Charlottesville, VA. March, 2013.
- "Commodified Domesticity: Economic Discourse and the Construction of Asian American Narrative." Building Narratives. UC Davis Department of English Scholars Symposium. November, 2012.
- "Aging Economies: Race, Nation, and the (re)Construction of the American West in Karen Tei Yamashita's I-Hotel." Special Session: "The Broken Body and the West." Meeting of the Rocky Mountain MLA. Boulder, Colorado. October, 2012.
- "Hotels and the Construction of Working-Class Narratives in West's The Day of the Locust." Narratives Mediated: (dis)junctions 2012. University of California, Riverside. April, 2012.
- "Hotel Living, Racialized Labor, and the American Literary Left." The Louisville Conference on Literature and Culture Since 1900. University of Louisville. February, 2012.
- “Novel Space: Region, Home, and the Los Angeles Hotel in West's The Day of the Locust and Fante's Ask the Dust." Considering the Space of Race: UC Davis Department of English Scholars Symposium. February, 2010.
- Humanities, Arts, and Cultural Studies Dean's Fellowship, Davis Humanities Institute, 2013
- Dissertation Fellowship, UC Davis Department of English, 2013
- David Noel Miller Archival Research Fellowship, UC Davis Department of English 2010
- Humanities Fellowship, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2004-2005
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2005
ACADEMIC SERVICE & PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Graduate Student Representative, Undergraduate Studies Committee, 2012-2013
- Mentor, UC Davis Undergraduate Research Program, 2012-Present
- Co-Chair, Contemporary Literature Reading Group, 2012-Present
- Co-Chair, English Graduate Student Association, 2011-2012
- Co-Chair, UC Davis American Cultures and Politics Research Cluster, 2011-2012
- Graduate Student Representative, English Graduate Studies Committee, 2011-2012
- Graduate Student Peer Mentor, UC Davis Department of English, 2007-2012
- Mentor, UC Davis Undergraduate Research Mentor Program, 2012-Present
- Co-Chair, English Department Scholars Symposium, 2009-2010