Ph.D., Yale University, 2001
M.A., Georgetown University, 1995
A.B., Harvard University, 1989
Seeta Chaganti joined the faculty of the UC Davis English department in 2001. She specializes in Old and Middle English poetry and its intersections with material artifacts, including sculpture, metalwork, and wall painting. Her current research focuses on poetic and visual representations of dance in the late Middle Ages. Media, performance, and movement studies, along with poststructuralism and theories of poetics, all inform her perspective on the Middle Ages as deeply as do historicist methodologies.
- "Figure and Ground: Elene's Nails, Cynewulf's Runes, and Hrabanus Maurus's Painted Poems," in The Arma Christi in Medieval and Early Modern Culture: Objects, Representation, and Devotional Practice, ed. Lisa H. Cooper and Andrea Denny-Brown. Burlington, VT: Ashgate, forthcoming.
- "Proleptic Steps: Rethinking Historical Period in the Fifteenth-Century Dance Manual," Dance Research Journal 44.2 (2012): 28-47.
- (Editor) Medieval Poetics and Social Practice: Responding to the Work of Penn R. Szittya. New York: Fordham University Press, 2012.
- "Danse macabre and the Virtual Churchyard," postmedieval 3.1 (2012): 7-26.
- "Under the Angle: Memory, History, and Dance in Nineteenth-Century Medievalism," Australian Literary Studies 26.3-4 (2011): 147-62.
- "The Space of Epistemology in Marie de France's 'Yonec,'" Romance Studies 28.2 (2010): 71-83.
- "Vestigial Signs: Inscription, Performance, and The Dream of the Rood," PMLA 125.1 (2010): 48-72.
- "Choreographing Mouvance: The Case of the English Carol," Philological Quarterly 87.1&2 (2008): 77-103.
- The Medieval Poetics of the Reliquary: Enshrinement, Inscription, Performance. New York: Palgrave, 2008.
- "'A Form as Grecian Goldsmiths Make': Enshrining Narrative in Chrétien de Troyes's Cligés and the Stavelot Triptych," New Medieval Literatures 7 (2005): 163-201.
- Faculty Development Award, UC Davis (2013-14)
- Outstanding Mentor Award, UC Davis Consortium for Women and Research (2012)
- Society for the Humanities Fellowship, Cornell University (2009-10)
- Whiting Fellowship in the Humanities, Yale University (1999-2000)