You are here
Professor of English
Ph.D. University of Iowa, English, 1972
B.A. University of Kansas, English and Philosophy, 1968
Grants and Awards
- Samuel Sloan Fellowship, University of Iowa, 1972-73
- Fulbright-Hays Research Grant, Italy, 1978-79
- College of the Liberal Arts, Distinction in the Humanities Award, Pennsylvania State University, 2000
- Class Degrees: Smart Work, Managed Choice, and the Transformation of Higher Education. Fordham University Press, 2008
- Everyday Exchanges: Marketwork and Capitalist Common Sense. Stanford University Press, 1998.
- Throwaways: Work Culture and Consumer Education. Stanford University Press, 1993.
- Work Time: English Departments and the Circulation of Cultural Value. Stanford University Press, 1989.
- The Critical Act: Criticism and Community. Yale University Press, 1978.
Books in Progress
- Literacy Work in the Reign of Human Capital, Fordham University Press, forthcoming, spring, 2015.
Education & Interests:
- Ph.D. (Iowa); Literacy Theory and Composition Theory, Cultural Studies, American Studies, Gender Studies