You are here
- 240 - Medieval Literature
Ph.D., Yale University, 2001
M.A., Georgetown University, 1995
A.B., Harvard University, 1989
Seeta Chaganti joined the faculty of the UC Davis English department in 2001. She specializes in Old and Middle English poetry and its intersections with material culture. Her first book was The Medieval Poetics of the Reliquary (Palgrave Macmillan, 2008). Her new book, Strange Footing, argues that to medieval audiences, poetic form was a multimedia experience shaped by encounters with dance. In this work, she proposes a new method of reenacting medieval dance that draws upon experiences of watching contemporary dance. She has begun a third book in collaboration with Dr. Gabrielle Nevitt (Dept. of Neurobiology, UC Davis) entitled Chicken Lyric: Poetry and the Avian Sense World. Written for a general audience, this book will show how a long history of familiar Anglophone poetry -- including works by Chaucer, Shakespeare, Frost, Williams, Bishop, and Kay Ryan -- reflects in its form and content the chicken's deep influence on human perceptions of sensory environments.
- "B-Side: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight," Public Books
- Strange Footing: Poetic Form and Dance in the Late Middle Ages. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2018.
- "Dance in a Haunted Space: Genre, Form, and the Middle English Carol." Exemplaria 27.1-2 (2015): 129-49.
- "Figure and Ground: Elene's Nails, Cynewulf's Runes, and Hrabanus Maurus's Painted Poems." The Arma Christi in Medieval and Early Modern Material Culture. Ed. Lisa H. Cooper and Andrea Denny-Brown. Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2014. 53-82
- "The Platea Pre- and Postmodern: A Landscape of Medieval Performance Studies." Exemplaria 25.3 (2013): 252-64.
- "Proleptic Steps: Rethinking Historical Period in the Fifteenth-Century Dance Manual." Dance Research Journal 44.2 (2012): 28-47.
- (Editor) Medieval Poetics and Social Practice: Responding to the Work of Penn R. Szittya. New York: Fordham University Press, 2012.
- "Danse macabre and the Virtual Churchyard," postmedieval 3.1 (2012): 7-26.
- "Under the Angle: Memory, History, and Dance in Nineteenth-Century Medievalism." Australian Literary Studies 26.3-4 (2011): 147-62.
- "The Space of Epistemology in Marie de France's 'Yonec.'" Romance Studies 28.2 (2010): 71-83.
- "Vestigial Signs: Inscription, Performance, and The Dream of the Rood." PMLA 125.1 (2010): 48-72.
- The Medieval Poetics of the Reliquary: Enshrinement, Inscription, Performance. New York: Palgrave, 2008.
- "'A Form as Grecian Goldsmiths Make': Enshrining Narrative in Chrétien de Troyes's Cligés and the Stavelot Triptych." New Medieval Literatures 7 (2005): 163-201.
- Faculty Research Fellowship, Davis Humanities Institute (2015)
- Academic Senate Distinguished Teaching Award, Undergraduate, UC Davis (2014)
- Faculty Development Award, UC Davis (2013-14)
- Outstanding Mentor Award, UC Davis Consortium for Women and Research (2012)
- Society for the Humanities Fellowship, Cornell University (2009-10)
- Whiting Fellowship in the Humanities, Yale University (1999-2000)