You are here
Associate Professor of English
From now on, office hours will take place in a remote fashion through Zoom. More details will be made available once Spring Quarter begins.
- 157 - Detective Fiction
Ph.D., Duke University (2002)
B.A., University of California, Berkeley (1994)
- Finalist, ASUCD Excellence in Education Award, 2011
- Stern Dissertation Fellowship, Duke University, 2001-2002
- Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship, Dublin, Ireland, 2000
- Fullbright Fellowship, Dublin, Ireland, 1997-1998
- Highest Honors in English, University of California, Berkeley, 1994
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1994
- "The Materialist Fabulist Dialectic: James Stephens, Eimar O'Duffy, and Magic Naturalism" in Liam Harte, ed. The Oxford Handbook to Irish Fiction (forthcoming 2019).
- "Retromania, the Canon, the Refusal to Work and the Present: The Crassical Connection" Social Text Periscope (January 2013).
- Lazy Idle Schemers: Irish Modernism and the Cultural Politics of Idleness (Field Day Publications of the University of Notre Dame, 2010).
- “‘Never a Day’s Work’: Synge and Irish Modernism.” in P.J. Mathews, ed. Cambridge Companion to John Miltington Synge (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010)
- “Constitutional Laziness: Flann O’Brien and the Politics of Laziness.” Novel: A Forum on Fiction 42:1 (Spring 2009), 86-108.
- “Connolly, the Archive, and Method.” Interventions: International Journal of Postcolonial Studies 10.1 (Jan/Feb 2008): 48-66.
- "Whenever Green is Red: James Connnolly and Postcolonial Theory." Nepantla: Views from South 1.3 (2000), 605-648
- "Scenes of Tawdry Tribute: Modernism, Tradition, and Connolly" in P. J. Mathews, ed. New Voices in Irish Criticism (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2000), 3-12
Education & Interests:
- Ph.D. (Duke); 20th-c. Irish and British Literature, Modernism, Postcolonial Theory and Literature, Cultural Studies, Critical Theory, Theosophy ahd Esotericism, Magic Naturalism, Britain in the 1970s, Noir, Punk Rock, Extreme Metal, Popular Culture (primarily music and sports).