You are here
Stacey Anh Baran
M.A. in English, SUNY Brockport, 2020
B.A. in Cinema Studies and French, SUNY Oswego, 2016
contemporary horror and film genre, ecocriticism, food/agricultural studies, animal studies, 20th-c. American literature
- “‘We’ve been teenagers forever’: Reference and self-reflexivity in Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated.” Critical Approaches to Youth Horror, eds. Kyle Brett and Ethan Robles. Rowman & Littlefield, 2022 (forthcoming).
- “Good Grief: Sorrows, Screams, and Silence in the Contemporary Horror Film.” Routledge Horror Film and Media Companion, eds. Andrea Wood and Jamie McDaniel. Routledge, 2022 (forthcoming).
- "What's Lost in a Word: Interrogating English Translations of French Culinary Terminology." Panel: "Babel's Alphabets." Living in Languages Colloquium, University at Albany, SUNY, 24 March 2022.
- "'Once upon a Midsommar...': Nature, Nationalism, and the Swedish Folkloresque." Panel: "Hybridity and Fluidity in Fairy Tales and Folklore." 53rd NeMLA Convention, Baltimore, MD, 12 March 2022.
- “On the Periphery: Black Phillip and the Domesticated Animal in Robert Eggers’ The Witch.” Panel: "Animals in Literature and Film" (co-presented with Kayla Adgate). 62nd MMLA Convention, Milwaukee, WI, 5 November 2021.
- “Preserving nature and preservation of whiteness in Ari Aster’s Midsommar.” Panel: "Race & Environment, Speculative Ecomedia." ASLE Biennial Conference, Virtual, July/August 2021.
- “Grief, escapism, and transnational ecotourism in Ari Aster’s Midsommar.” Panel: "Horror Within and Beyond the Nation." 51st NeMLA Convention, Boston, MA, 8 March 2020.
- “‘Trust in God and Keep Your Powder Dry’: Religious Fanaticism in The Witch and Wieland.” Panel: "Intertextuality and Adaptation" (co-presented with Kayla Adgate). SEGue 6th Annual Symposium, Brockport, NY, 22 February 2019.
- “The value of the familiar in nostalgia horror.” Panel: "Creepypastas and Born-Digital Horror." 40th International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts, Orlando, FL, March 2019.
- TA: FMS 45 (Vampires and Other Horrors), ENL 123 (18th Century British Literature), ENL 122 (Milton), ENL 111 (Medieval Literature)
- TA, English Tutor: SUNY Brockport, Fall 2018 - Spring 2020
- Assistant de langue (TAPIF): Lycée René Descartes, Lyon, FR, Fall 2017 - Spring 2018
- French Tutor: SUNY Oswego, Fall 2015 - Spring 2016
- TA: FRE 102 Introductory French, SUNY Oswego, Spring 2016