You are here
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley
M.A., McGill University
B.A., Stanford University
Alessa Johns's work focuses on the long eighteenth century; her interests include British literature and culture, European women writers, Utopian literature and theory, Travel, the study of Disasters, Jane Austen, and Anglo-German cultural exchange. She is an affiliated faculty member in German and Comparative Literature.
- Bluestocking Feminism and British-German Cultural Transfer, 1750-1837 (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2014) https://www.press.umich.edu/7135424/bluestocking_feminism_and_british_ge...
- Women's Utopias of the Eighteenth Century (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2003) https://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/54qdn3df9780252028410.html
- Editor and Introduction, Dreadful Visitations: Confronting Natural Catastrophe in the Age of Enlightenment (New York and London: Routledge, 1999) https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/9781136683893
- Editor and Introduction, Reflections on Sentiment: Essays in Honor of George Starr (University of Delaware Press, 2016) https://library.udel.edu/udpress/titles/reflections/
- "The Book as Cosmopolitan Object: Women's Publishing, Collecting, and Anglo-German Exchange," in Women and Material Culture, ed. Jennie Batchelor and Cora Kaplan (Palgrave Macmillan, 2007) https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9780230007055
- "Thinking Globally, Acting Locally: Enlightenment Utopianism for 21st-Century Feminists?" in Gender and Utopia in the Eighteenth Century, ed. Nicole Pohl and Brenda Tooley (Ashgate, 2007) https://books.google.de/books?id=TvEFDAAAQBAJ&pg=PR5&lpg=PR5&dq=Thinking...
- "Feminism and Utopianism," in the Cambridge Companion to Utopian Literature, ed. Gregory Claeys (Cambridge University Press, 2010) https://doi.org/10.1017/CCOL9780521886659.008
- "Anna Jameson in Germany: 'A.W.' and Women's Translation," in Translation and Literature 19 (2010) https://www.jstor.org/stable/20789110?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
- "Jane Austen the Stoic: Channeling Elizabeth Carter and the Bluestocking Ethos," in Women's Writing 21.4 (Oct 2014) http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/byUdTt5CIFHiqhyfPsKA/full
- "German Women's Writing in British Magazines, 1760-1820," in Women's Periodicals and Print Culture in Britain, 1690-1820s: The Long Eighteenth Century, ed. Jennie Batchelor and Manushag N. Powell (Edinburgh University Press, 2018) https://global.oup.com/academic/product/womens-periodicals-and-print-cul...
- "Bluestocking Studies 2011-2017: The Transnational Turn," Literature Compass 14.11 (Nov 2017) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/lic3.12426/abstract
- "Striving Sisters: Wilhelmine of Bayreuth and Philippine Charlotte of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel," in Markgräfin Wilhelmine von Bayreuth und die Erlanger Universität: Künste und Wissenschaften im Dialog, ed. Christina Strunck (Michael Imhof Verlag, 2019) https://www.imhof-verlag.de/markgraefing-wilhelmine-von-bayreuth.html
Awards and Honors
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1981
- Mellon Fellowship in the Humanities, 1983-1987
- Soroptimist Founder Region Dissertation Fellowship, 1991-1992
- Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award, University of California, Berkeley, 1993
- Catherine Macaulay Prize, American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, for the best graduate student essay on a women's studies subject, 1993
- Fulbright Foundation Research Fellowship; affiliation with the Graduiertenkolleg "Geschlechterdifferenz und Literatur," University of Munich, Germany, 1997
- Faculty Development Award, University of California, Davis, 1999
- Research Fellowship, Herzog August Bibliothek, Wolfenbüttel, Germany, 2003
- UC President's Research Fellowship in the Humanities, 2008-2009
- Lichtenberg-Kolleg Residential Research Fellowship, Institute for Advanced Study, Georg-August-Universität, Göttingen, Germany, 2011-2012
- Associated Students of the University of California, Davis, Excellence in Teaching Award (winner for the Division of Humanities, Arts, and Cultural Studies), 2012
- Phi Beta Kappa of Northern California, Excellence in Teaching Award, 2016
- Academic Senate Distinguished Teaching Award, University of California, Davis, 2016
- Short-Term Residential Research Fellowship, Herzog August Bibliothek, Wolfenbüttel, Germany, 2019