You are here
Sarah "Sydney" Lane
- 5P-2 - Writing: Poetry
PhD in English, University of California - Santa Barbara (2022)
MSc in Theoretical Psychoanalytic Studies, University College London (2018)
MA in English, University of Montana (2015)
BS in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation, University of Florida (2011)
Sydney Lane is a candidate for the MFA in Creative Writing at the University of California, Davis. She specializes in and has taught courses in 19th-century British literature and speculative fiction, literature and mind studies, the environmental humanities, and creative writing. She is currently at work on a book-length poetry manuscript that experiments with the ludic and erotic affordances of eco-psychoanalytic poetics. Her poetry and scholarship concern rendering the tropes of walking and driving away as “creative methods” of being and un/becoming for womxn-identifying, working-class identities also navigating neurodiversity—for femme/feminine/feminized post-Human lifeforms living through, living now, continuing to live past the meta/physical consequences of the time-poor and wild[er]ness-poor contexts of our late-capitalist work schedules and landscapes. Her writing has appeared in the MOSF Journal of Science Fiction, The British Journal for the History of Science, and in two edited collections: Surreal Entanglements: Essays on Jeff VanderMeer’s Fiction (2021) and Philosophy, Film, and the Dark Side of Interdependence (2020).
University of California, Davis
- Upcoming: Introduction to Creative Writing: Poetry (ENL 5P), Fall 2023.
- Introduction to Creative Writing: Fiction (ENL 5F), Summer Session I 2023.
- Introduction to Creative Writing: Fiction (ENL 5F), Spring 2023.
- Introduction to Creative Writing: Fiction (ENL 5F), Winter 2023.
- Introduction to Literature (ENL 3), Fall 2022.
University of Nevada, Reno
- Composition I (ENG 101), Fall 2021.
University of California, Santa Barbara
- British Literature from 1789 to 1900 (ENGL 103B), TA with Professor Timothy Gilmore, Spring 2021.
- Introduction to Literary Study (ENGL 10), TA with Professor Timothy Gilmore, Winter 2021.
- Introduction to Literature and the Environment (ENGL 22), TA with Professor Ken Hiltner, Fall 2020.
- Introduction to Literary Study (ENGL 10), Instructor of Record, Summer B 2020.
- Introduction to Literary Study (ENGL 10), Instructor of Record, Summer A 2020.
- Science Fiction: Ecofiction Short Stories (ENGL 192EF), TA with Professor Melody Jue, Spring 2020.
- The Climate Crisis (ENGL 23), TA with Professor Ken Hiltner, Winter 2020.
- British Literature from 1789 to 1900 (ENGL 103B), TA with Professor Julie Carlson, Fall 2019.
- What’s Wrong with the World? How Do We Fix It? Perspectives and Solutions from the Environmental Humanities and Social Sciences (INT 133B), TA with Professor Ken Hiltner, Summer 2019.
- Introduction to Literary Study (ENGL 10), Instructor of Record, Summer B 2018.
- Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology– Physiology (MCDB 1B), TA with Dr. Seng Hui Low, Summer 2018
- Introduction to Psychoanalytic Theory and Criticism (C LIT 119), Reader with Professor Aranye Fradenburg Joy, Spring 2018.
- The Rhetoric of Environmental Activism (ENGL 122EA), Co-taught with Professor Ken Hiltner, Fall 2017.
- Science Fiction (ENGL 192), with Professor Brian Donnelly, TA Spring 2017.
- English and American Literature from 1650-1789 (ENGL 102), TA with Professor William Warner, Winter 2017.
- British Literature from 1789 to 1900 (ENGL 103B), TA with Professor Julie Carlson, Fall 2016.
University of Montana
- “British Literature: Enlightenment to Romantics” with Professor Rob Browning, Spring 2015.
- “British Literature: The Restoration, The Enlightenment, Romanticism” with Professor Robert Baker, Fall 2014.
- “History of Terrorism and Violence in the Modern World” with Professor Richard Drake, Spring 2013.
University of Florida
- "Wildlife Ecology and Management" with Professor William Giuliano, Fall 2010.